Thursday, September 11, 2008

Talking to the FRO...

In light of a few comment I'd received over the last few weeks, some posted here, I thought I'd try to draw attention to the issue with the FRO. I received this response:

2008/9/10 @MCSS-G-DMCMB-MCSSINFO (CSS)

Thank you for your e-mail to the Ministry of Community and Social Services concerning court-ordered child support and fathers who want to be treated fairly.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write. However, the Family Responsibility Office's mandate is to enforce court-ordered child and spousal support obligations.

The issue you raise regarding fathers who want to be treated fairly by the courts with regard to child support falls under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of the Attorney General. You can obtain information on that ministry’s website at http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/divorce/support/.

You can also write to:

Ministry of the Attorney General
720 Bay Street, 11th Floor
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 2K1
Tel: 416-326-2220
www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/feedback.asp

Once again, thank you for writing.

Josh Vandezande

Manager, Correspondence Unit
Ministry of Community and Social Services




Okay then... We'll be following up with the AG. It seems the FRO doesn't accept any responsibility for treating good and responsible fathers like criminals.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so typical fro passing the buck. and the circle goes round and round again. they call it the "federal support guidelines" but the attorney general (federal government)has one mandate and that is for "federal garnishment". nothing else. contacting them about any reform what so ever will just get you a response that they have no jurisdiction and that it
is within the provincial government's jurisdiction. been here before, the mixup is the name. i don't think many people realize that there is a provincial attorney general too. but again there is a great chance that if you confront either office you will most likely get ignorance, stupidity or just plain old "passing the buck" (telephone/email tag). as i said in the other blog,12 yrs now and no sign of changing. the only thing i can think and what my experience keeps telling me is that the money is just to good to change or reform the system.

Cameron Stevens said...

Yes, You see what I see. No Responsibility for anything functional past an election promise. Every other avenue of protest has failed so we're left with grown men in spider-man suits to try to bring home a point.

I must persist in my attempts to have the government listen, and I approach the provincial system on this because they have jurisdiction over the FRO and the courts that try to criminalize good fathers.

Interestingly, the documentation for the Federal Child Support Guidelines has changed (moved) and the PDF (I'll post a link soon) is very different. We'll see how this effects me next year.

Anonymous said...

How are you emploring the provincial government? I would like to try and get guidelines changed to recognize second families, take into account reciepients income and take visitation time into account (like the Australian government has done this past june)

Cameron Stevens said...

For now I'm pestering them with requests to visit the site and see what people are saying... I'm looking for a more effective means that will fit into the "not my day job" scenario.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering if you would be open to starting a petition on this website. I would like to feel that I am supporting fair and equal changes to current guidelines and direct people to a place that is not radical or supporting poor values and morals. Thanks.

Cameron Stevens said...

It is funny you should suggest that... I've been looking into this using Google Docs.

Maybe. I can say, maybe.